Safety in the woodshop is critical.  Nobody wants to lose digits.  And, nobody wants to suffer from life long breathing difficulties due to something that was totally preventable.

Use the Right tool for the Job
I would imagine a fair amount of injuries occur due to using the WRONG tool for the job at hand.  Once I was cutting some wood the size of a popsicle stick.  I was in a rush, and didn’t use the right tool for the job.  I picked a box cutter that wasn’t in a holder.  Just, the blade alone.  The razor blade slipped and went all the way down into my thumb.  Stitches on the tip of my thumb were not fun.  Especially since lidocain has no effect on my nerves…





My dad once got his hand pulled into a radial arm saw.  He almost lost his thumb.  I won’t embarrass him by telling what he was trying to do, we’ll just say – it wasn’t the right tool for the job.  :)

Mouth and Nose
Wood dust particles become dangerous once they are airborne.  The dust can quickly work its way into your respiratory system and wreak havoc.  Nose, throat, eye irritation, allergic reactions, or breathing difficulties.
Best solutions to this, since we obviously want to keep building
*  Wear a mask.
*  Work in a well ventilated space.
*  Install a dust collection system if you can.
Scott is really allergic to walnut.  His face swells to almost unrecognizable proportions.  But, using the above precautions, he is able to still work with plenty of hardwoods without difficulty.

eyes_mancaveinvaded Wear safety glasses – they look hot.  Haha.  In all seriousness, using power tools, lots of particles and slivers become projectiles.  We want to keep our eyes!  Invest in a pair that are comfortable to wear so that you won’t have any excuses not to.

Slow Down
You rush, you lose fingers.  Take your time.  Woodworking is meant to be enjoyed!  It’s not a race to the finish.

Leave a Reply

Quality projects and DIY